In a message dated 8/11/06 2:16:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Why did Andy let that stay in the script?  In Atlanta, all soft drinks were
> called "Coke", whether they were or not.

I should probably step in and point out that "Coke" is a trademark and that's
probably why we didn't hear it casually mentioned on the show.

For some reason, mentioning brand names suddenly became taboo in the late
'50s and early '60s.  I'm not sure but I think it may have had something to do
with the radio DJ payola scandals of the late 1950s.  Up until then it was more
common.  For instance, I heard the line "Put the Cokes in that tub of ice,
Peavey" on radio's "The Great Gildersleeve."  I've seen tapes and DVDs where
the
Coca-Cola logo appeared prominently on machines and fountains, in movie
theatre and bowling alley sets, on a number of 1950s shows including "Mr
Peepers,"
"Dragnet" and a "Colgate Comedy Hour" sketch with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis,
and Coca-Cola didn't sponsor any of those shows.  (Ricky and David are also
occasionally mentioned as getting a few Cokes for parties on "Ozzie and
Harriet," but Coca-Cola *was* one of their sponsors.)   So the decision not to
call
soft drinks "Cokes" was probably the result of a memo from the CBS standards
and
practices department.

Incidentally just before we began discussing this, someone sent me an email
listing signs you're from Alabama.  One of them is that you've had the
following conversation:

"What would you like to drink?"
"A Coke."
"What kind?"
"Oh, Dr Pepper."

It struck me even then how hilarious it would have been if Goober and Floyd
ever had that conversation.  Then again we'd never that colorful dialogue about
Nectarine Crush or Huckleberry Smash.

Dixon