*** This may have been discussed in here but i am curious as to why the
original
episodes were filmed in black and white in 1960. I believe the technology was
there in 1960 to film in color wasn't it? I may be wrong about this but wasn't
Bonanza filmed in 1960 in color.***

Color film was still fairly expensive back then and it was done to save money.
That according to one book I read about "The Dick Van Dyke Show" that touched
on producer Sheldon Leonard's relationships with his various shows.  Leonard
also mentioned possibly going in color as far back as the 1963-64 season but
ultimately waited until '65.  By the end of '66 all of the networks were
showing nearly all of their shows in color, mainly due to affordability of
color film and competitive pressures from NBC and its peacock.

What's interesting is, in 1965, Leonard started using color film on TAGS,
"Gomer Pyle, USMC" and "I Spy" but still let "The Dick Van Dyke Show" shoot in
black and white for one more season.

Dixon