>>>That one was a good episode.  Andy learned just how good a job he and Aunt
>>>Bee had done raising Opie when Opie gave his job up so that the
>>>underprivileged boy (no, his name wasn't Horatio) could earn money to help
>>>his family.<<<

You know, when I was watching that show myself, I thought, "Now, why didn't
Opie just tell the store owner that he wanted to let the other boy have the job
because he needed it more than Opie did?"  Opie could have bowed out
gracefully, a simple solution that would have prevented confusion and
embarrassment on Andy's part.  Of course, I realize that it would have also
ruined the episode because a good plot needs conflict followed by resolution.

Still, it bothers me that I can't identify Opie's motive in letting the other
boy get the job by making himself look irresponsible.  What is the rationale?
The boy didn't seem embarrassed to admit why he needed the job to Opie, so I
wouldn't think his motive would be to allow the other boy to "save face."  If
Opie wanted the other boy to feel that he "won" over Opie, then Opie's seeming
irresponsibility would not make it much of a "win."  But I don't think that was
even the goal of the other boy--he just wanted the job.  So why did Opie choose
to do what he did??  Anybody have an idea that makes sense?

Thelma Lou
(Janet)