In a message dated 6/1/2006 1:04:38 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

4.  Mayberry moment

For some reason, reading the digest tonight brought back memories of my  past
life as a musician and how that led to opportunities to meet a few  cast
members of TAGS.

In the early seventies, the band I played bass with was B. J. Thomas's
backup band, and we got to travel the USA and the world with him, a great
chance
to me because I always wanted to do that. BJ and I still keep in touch by
phone.

In 1974 or 75, I can't exactly remember the date, we went to Hollywood to
play on several TV shows---The Tonight Show, The Merv Griffin Show, and Dinah
Shore's syndicated talk show, taped at CBS's Television City, where they did
all  of their shows then. I especially remember meeting Dinah Shore because she
was  so nice to us and talked to all of us right before we went on. Her
kinfolks were  from Pike County, Alabama, as were mine, and we had a good time
talking about  that. What a nice Southern lady she was.

One morning, before we taped, I got up sort of early (rare for a musician  on
the road) and went to the restaurant downstairs for some breakfast. Only two
or three people were there, and I saw one guy sitting by himself. It took me
a  few seconds to realize it was Jim Nabors. He looked pretty tired, and I
promised  myself that I would NOT go over and bother him, but, after finishing
my
 breakfast, of course I did. He was very nice. I asked him if he had been
back to  Alabama lately, told him I had recently played in his home town there,
and he  graciously told me that, no, he had not, it had been a while. I shook
his hand  and left him alone, but wow, I would have loved to have sat down and
talked more, but it would have been rude to do that.

A few years later, I saw Jack Dodson at a charity event in Montgomery,
Alabama, closer to home. He was sitting in a corner of the room by himself, and
 as
I walked over to him, he stood up and extended his hand. He invited me  to
sit down, and we talked for a while. He was extremely cordial, and now I wish
had stayed longer and talked to him more, but I couldn't at the time.

Some years after I left the music business, I became the editorial
cartoonist for the daily newspaper in my home  town. The paper's editor,  Doug
Bradford, grew up with George Lindsey and was his best man at his wedding,  so
when
Goober came to Dothan, Alabama, in 1989, I got to meet him  too.

So, for a guy who was an Andy Griffith Show fan from the very first episode
to the last of its run, I have to consider myself a pretty lucky guy.

All of yall have a great Mayberry day!

Jimmy Dean
down in Dothan, Alabama