Hi all, I was at amazon.com reading reviews of TAGS Season 5 and I read that
Jerry Van Dyke, who we all know played the banjo-playing deputy in the final
b&W episode, was offered the role of Knotts' replacement. Is that true? I've
never heard or read that before. If so, what a pity he turned it down. I think
Van Dyke, with his distinct style, might have fit in with Mayberry, unlike Jack
Burns, whose Warren character was told to act goofy and annoy Andy but possesed
none of the pathos of Knotts' unique Barney.
  Doug Gibson
  Ogden, UT
  Yes Sir, You Have Beat the Game chapter