I have just recently completed a three session confirmation class of ninth
graders where I used the Back to Mayberry Bible Study.  It was a very
interesting experience as many of the kids in attendance had never seen or
heard of  The Andy Griffith Show.  They were wondering why it was in black
and white and why everything was old.  So I had do to a rather impromptu
explanation of the history of the show.  It was very interesting how our
discussions usually led back to the days when I was growing up along with
TAGS.  If fact I was the very age of the confirmand students when TAGS first
aired in 1960.  They thought that was really cool.  We had good discussions
on how values have changed over the years and how many more problems young
people have today.  They had a difficult time grasping how simple and
innocent and safe my young years were growing up in a very small town
similar to Mayberry.  Eau Claire has 60,000 people and is growing rapidly.

I am also currently teaching the study to a group of about 20 senior
citizens at a retirement community in Eau Claire.  It is proving to be just
a delightful experience.  They all just love the videos and are so eager to
share memories of their younger years.  We gather for goodies and coffee
after each class and it is so much fun to listen to the various discussion
at the tables.  They continue to talk about the video we used and love to
share experiences that are very similar.  One little elderly lady approached
me after class this past week and thanked me for bringing back so many
wonderful memories.  She had tears in her eyes as she recalled some of the
events of her young life.

I was called by a member of another church in a neighboring town who wants
me to teach the series at a Sunday afternoon family activity in their
church.  So I have invited his family to join my wife and me for an evening
of Mayberry so we can work out the details of what I will be doing.

One has to understand that up here in the north country, TAGS is not as well
known as it is in the south.  But I am trying my hardest to spread the good
news of St. Andrew and St. Bernard.  And it is slowly but surely catching
on.

Kenneth G. Anderson
2906 May Street
Eau Claire, Wisconsin 54701