I noticed while watching the 5th season DVD's that Helen changed her hair style
in the Episode "Guest in the House".
This is where cousin Gloria visits while she is broke up with her husband. In
most of Helen's appearances prior to this she
almost always has her hair up in a bun or some style where it is put up, but
you see it down at least once in the episode
"Andy and Helen Have Their Day". But when she gets her new hair style I think
that it really framed her face better and  showed how pretty she really was. By
the color years she had changed her hair style again and I don't think it
worked as well for her. But for several episodes near the end of season 5 I
think they finally had found a hair style that really worked well for her.

I can't remember Thelma Lou ever changing her hair style through out the entire
run. But I could be wrong.

Dapper Dan