We have often discussed the interesting sites in Mayberry, all the
interesting things the people do and say, but I
    don't recall our ever discussing the various references to the smells in
    Mayberry.  I came up with a list of the things that I can remember being
    actual "smell references."  Can any of you "trained noticers" think of
    some more that I may have missed.  I am sure there are many.

    - the smell of  boiled cabbage from the diner that Gomer smelled while
      on the roof of the courthouse
    - the smell from the dump when the wind blows
    - the smell of Barney's after shave
    - the smell of Barney's fish in the drawer
    - the smell of witch hazel
    - the smell of the perfume Andy bought for Helen
    - the smell of the perfume Ellie sprayed on Andy
    - the smell of gas and oil on Gomer and his truck
    - the funny smell of the Morrison sister's flowers
    - the smell of burning wood when Opie uses his wood burning set to burn
      house numbers
    - the smell of Aunt Bee's marmalade as Barney spreads it on his toast
    - the smell of the tough roast beef as Andy walks into the living room
    - the smell of leaking gas in the courthouse when Andy fixed the gas
      stove
    - the smell of liquor on Otis' breath ( countless times)
    - the smell of Barney's burning chili up in his room
    - the smell of something good for supper when Andy goes to Howard's for
      supper
    - the smell of something burning when Andy discovers the smoke fire at
      Wally's
    - the smell when Andy takes a whiff of the old jug of Barney's hard
      cider
    - the smell of Emma's hot apple pies on her window sill

    OK folks, there is my list. Hope you can find some more.

    By the way, I am reading another English novel that takes place during
    WW1 and wouldn't you know it that I came across one of
    Barney's lines.  A young man met a girl at a dance and after he danced
    with her, he said, "You play your cards right and I might walk you
    home."

    Ken Anderson
    2906 May Street
    Eau Claire, WI 54701