>>  Don Knotts, playing the wonderfully crafted character "Barney Fife," was
>> TV's Keaton.   Knotts made Barney, the nervous braggart who was a coward
>> with a heart of gold, an enduring fixture. There's a simple reason he could
>> not be replaced:   It was impossible.   His portrayal still makes me laugh,
>> wince, shake my head and softly smile.   It's a work of epic proportion on a
>> small-town stage.   Genius is overused today but not in this case.    Barney
>> Fife reached perfection as Barney, especially in the 4th and 5th season.
>> We're so lucky to enjoy it over and over again.   It's like a sunrise -- you
>> never tire of its simple and ageless beauty.  <<

In his writing above, Tom Lawrence said it all.  He appropriately and
succinctly places the character of Barney Fife, created and portrayed by Don
Knotts, in television's Hall of Fame forever and ever.   Beautiful writing to
honor a one-of-a-kind actor/comedian and a one-of-a-kind endearing character in
the annals of broadcasting history.

Larry in CO