What was Alan Hale like? every inch  the genuine article. Skippers hat and
all decked out greeting customers at the Lobster Barrel, outgoing funny,
appreciated, full of life. He told me to look him up. I called from my hotel
room in L.A,. Is Mr Hale in tonight? Yes he is. Anton i think was the head
waiters name. I dashed down, pen paper camera in hand. Hey little Buddy. now
where have we fans heard that?Gilligans Island? not really. Jeff  Pruitt
from Farmer Takes A Wife said it in 1962. i had it on tape in pre vcr dvd
player days on audio off my tape recorder 600 tv shows and movies. HE was so
kind. he took a vital interest in myself as well asking about me my
interests my hobbies. but Im selfish. With pen and paper in hand I was more
interested him. Like hearing Alans grave concern that his series Casey Jones
in 57 was a flop. it went syndication.he felt had a network picked it up itd
be on alot longer. He was embarrassed when i had to say what hes been told
to his dying day in 1990m that he was spitting image of his beloved father
Alan Sr.He adored Jimmy Cagney. Yes he was proud of Gilligans Island i cant
deny it but privately he said he liked it when fans remembered him from
other  credits and i went down the list.I wish I could send off the photo i
took of him posing,hands outstretched as if to say Hello Little Buddy.He
said naturally as i asked many other perfortmers about more detailed tidbits
of production side, the making of a movie or tv show his love for his father
and what love. But i dont think people would be interested in  the every day
running of a shooting schedule.But there are interesting sidelights. Tina
Louise could be difficult. He worshipped Sherwood Schwartz . He sat down 30
minutes at my table. naturally he's got other patrons to visit.he'd go table
to table and chat a few minutes. im not special.he gave me 3o wonderful
minutes because i had been writing him for 3 years. But what a dear sweet
man. They all were. Fritz Feld the wonderful character actor in fims and tv
the actor comedian remembered for popping his mouth to our delight  in 1972
told me he made 300 films.he loved them all. he said id be on Tonight Show
in a few weeks. ill wave to you on the show and do a pop for you. What do
you think. sure enough i watched and he said hello Tom. and he did his POP
for all. I thought that was so kind.he lived to be 95. His wife Virgina
Christine the actress Mrs Olson from coffee comericals told me til the
commedrcials came to being fans knew her for only one role. the filthy
muddy  role in The Mummys Curse in 1945. But she wasnt ashame of it. I knew
Fritz from Phantom of the Opera 1943 and i praised him highly on that role.
Hope Summers told me in 1975 her admiration for Andy Griffith telling me he
had his hand in every facett of the show from conception in 1960 to 1968 the
final show. She loved her role as Clara Edwards ,a role like George Cisar
and Vincent Barnett and Frances Bavier rolled into Mayberry RFD. the full
credit to TAGS was Andy Griffith she said.He had every reason to be proud.
He watched over every bit of film
she was good friends with James Weathersfield, our beloved Uncle Ollie from
Family Visit 1964. She worked with him before in what she termed was the
stramgest role of her career, in 1961s Homicidal a sleeper of a ffilm. they
were husband and wife. Folks dont ask what happened to Uncle Ollie in this
movie. You have to see it to believe it. And get all thoughts of Uncle Ollie
out of your head when you see him.Regarding Frances Bavier all I can add and
I was wise not to touch upon it in phonecalls to her was Andy Griffith. She
preferred never to discuss him nor the co stars but she enjoyed her role and
she adored Anita Corsaut as we all did. I did Andy on a show some years ago
state she did call him to apologize for the poor relationship they had
during the run of the show .This was in her last days this call. Andy ever
the gentleman asked if he could see her but due to her health she declined.
he offered any help he could but she kindly refused. in her defence because
i knew her i have to say shes from the old school. . the younger generation
of actors from this classic were not on the same plane  as her. Where some
may think of her as rude and thoughtless i saw as reserved and protective.
Once you won her over she took you into her confidence. I knew so much about
her career, i sense that might be why she and others felt if i take that
much time out for them they can in return respond in kind.Thats it for today
until next time i can offer any benefitical insight. thanks from Col Tims
friend Tom Kessel ps the typing is better this time.im slowly learning.