We've been renting all the DVDs of Gomer Pyle - USMC from Netflix over the past
several weeks.  The other day we watched the one where Duke enters a talent
show and does impressions (episode title: Duke Slater, Night Club Comic).  I've
never quite understood why anyone in the audience would enjoy impressions
of people they'd never heard of -- it's as if I were to go on stage and do
impersonations of my next-door neighbors -- why would anybody think that was
funny?  Reminds me of Tommy Smothers' masterful impersonation of John Schwartz
-- but I digress.

Anyway, one of the other acts is a guy who plays three trumpets at one time.
The tune he originally played was The Beer Barrel Polka (Roll out the Barell)
but on the DVD, the music has been replaced with some generic trumpet playing.
I guess this is because they didn't want to have to pay a royalty.

I think something similar might have happened with the TAGS episode The Pickle
Story.  Before the Taylors arrive at the fair, there are stock county fair
scenes, and I seem to remember that years ago the music heard in this scene
was different.  If any of you trained noticers have old VHS tapes of this
episode and some time on your hands, you might want to compare different
versions.

Paul Mulik