Barney swallowed his gum when Andy left him in the barn when they were looking
for the escape criminal that Barney helped catch when he was giving him a
citation for littering.  The guy tried to bribe Barney with a five dollar bill
and then when the criminal saw the state police car he tried to get away and
got all tangled up with Barney.  The criminal was in the top of the barn and
climbed down to sneek up on Barney.  Andy threw a rock to hit the gas can and
alert Barney.  So Barney spun around and shot his pistol.  Then Andy and the
state police came running back in and took the criminal away.  That is when
Andy asked Barney to say something and Barney replied "I swallowed my gum".

Steve