One of my all time favorite songs is "Class of 57" by the Staler Brothers. I thought I would attempt to write my first song and maybe it could be sung by Floyd at the Founder's Day Pageant. I call it "The Folks of Mayberry" and it is sung to the tune of "Class of 57".
The Folks of Mayberry

Andy is the sheriff, Barney's helping out

Foley runs a grocery store, the best without a doubt.

Sam drives a tractor while Millie bakes the bread,

And Orville digs the graves and buries all the dead.

Nita is a waitress, Les works at the mill,

Helen teaches grade school and probably always will.

Howard works for the county and Rafe's in booze research

And Clara plays organ at the All Soul's little church.

And the folks of Mayberry had their dreams.

Oh, they all thought they'd change the world with their great works and deeds.

Or maybe they just thought the world would change to fit their needs.

The folks of Mayberry had their dreams.

Emmett runs a fix-it shop, Gomer pumps the gas

Pike became the mayor, and Jeff looked for a lass.

Otis took to drinking, Floyd took to hair,

Briscoe took Aunt Bee one day, hoping to become a pair.

John directs the choir; Frank Myers is deep in debt,

Where Thelma Lou has her job is anybody's bet.

Sarah answers all the calls for all of Mayberry,

And those folks we love are all a part of history

And the folks of Mayberry had their dreams,

But living life day to day is never like it seems.

Things get complicated when you get past eighteen.

But the folks of Mayberry had their dreams.

Oh, the folks of Mayberry had their dreams.

Ken Anderson
2906 May Street
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
715-839-8470