It is so funny to me how often the minds of folks here in Mayberry are thinking the very same thing. As I was watching Andy, Barney and Aunt Bee at the dump, I began thinking the same thing: "Did she just leave Opie alone at home in the bed?" Then I thought it was probably another testimony to way times have changed from the 60's to today. Since crime really wasn't an issue in Mayberry, I guess you only had to worry about things like fires, etc. Very different from the world we know.

I am also intrigued by the great job the directors/producers did in making it appear that Floyd could walk. There is another great scene in the episode where Howard buys the barbershop. Within the episode, we find Floyd sitting in his car outside the Courthouse talking to Andy. At the end of the conversation, they make it appear as though Floyd is moving over into the driver's seat--of course this not really happening.

Floyd was such wonderful actor and such an important member of the Mayberry cast. In fact, to me it often seems as though he was two wonderful actors--the Floyd we meet in the early episodes like the one where he was posing as rich businessman calling himself "Wretch" as he stared at himself in the looking glass, and then the post-stroke Floyd we come to know in the later episodes. What an actor! I would love to have met him. _______________________________________________