Interesting hypothesis, Ken, and I hope others will shed light on that
phrase. However, it's ironic how often "truth-telling" Andy stretches the
truth (though usually to protect those he loves). I watched "Aunt Bee's
Crowing Glory" (among other episodes) on tvland.com this morning. In that
episode, Andy lies twice---in front of the visiting reverend, of all
people!---in order to cover up Aunt Bee's wig-wearing. Of course, those
truth-stretches usually add to the comedy. Just an observation!

-a deceitful wretch etc.

I was at my weekly bible study last week and our pastor brought up the topic