"Someone tells us the car isnt working. In
some cases we might want to see for ourselves. so we try to drive the car. .
Only to learn what was told to us is true."

May I personalize and update your example?  In my house that step is always
part of a computer discussion between my husband and me.  I say, "My laptop's
not working right.  It's ..."  Then I describe what its doing.  And I don't
have to tell you what my husband immediately does.

Props may change, but human behavior--in some ways, at least--remains the same.
TAGS' writers knew that.

Dang!  I wish I could write that well.

Martha, the admiring and a bit jealous
Huntsville, AL