Yesterday I was driving home from the market, listening to the car radio, when
I heard the song "Raspberry Beret" by the artist formerly known as the artist
formerly known as "Prince."  It reminded me of a parody I once heard on the Dr.
Demento Show, "Mayberry Beret."  I don't remember who sang it, but in this
song, someone got a haircut at Floyd's but it didn't turn out too well, so he
was compelled to wear "A Mayberry beret, the kind you find on Howard Sprague's
head."  Anybody remember that one?  I wish I had a recording of it.  It must
have been done around 1985, that's when the Prince song came out.

There have been many Mayberry parodies done over the years, some good, others
not so good (and not in very good taste).  The best ones are "We Love Barney
Fife" (after Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire") and "Do the Barney Fife"
(after Dire Straits' "Walk of Life.")  Others I've heard include "Aunt Bee"
(after "Windy" by The Association), "Andy's the Sheriff" (after "I Shot the
Sheriff" by Bob Marley) and "I Can't Live Without My Mayberry" (after U2's
"With or Without You.")  I'd be interested to know if there are others.  Of
course there have been many other TAGS-related songs (such as 1994's "Elvis and
Andy" by Confederate Railroad) but those are not parodies.

Paul Mulik