I really can't envision too many residents of Mayberry having tattoos.
However, I suppose it is possible that Howard may have had "Mother" tattooed
across his upper arm or chest.  And perhaps Otis got one sometime when he fell
into the wrong kind of company in a tank outside of Mayberry.  Now I know
Barney would never have gotten a tattoo because he was deathly afraid of
needles.  I would suspect, however, that it could be possible that Skippy,
Daphne, and Big Maude may have had tattoos.  That's a rather common thing among
ex-cons, I guess.  But now that I think about it, perhaps Andy had several
tattoos that he was rather embarrassed about.  After all we have often wondered
why he never wore short sleeved shirts.  Perhaps he got them when he was in the
army.  And of course there is good old Mr. Schwump.  Perhaps that is the reason
for his silence.  Perhaps the tattooing went bad and it affected his powers of
speech.  All in all, it is a good topic to think about.  I don't think we have
ever discussed tattoos before.  It really is hard to tell when the girls of
Mayberry don't wear low hanging jeans and halter tops and none of the guys walk
around with their "pants on the ground".

Kenneth G. Anderson
2906 May Street
Eau Claire WI 54701
kanderson8...@charter.net