Since you mention it, I and some others from our Knoxville, Tennessee
"Mayberry" chapter just came back from a week in Los Angeles seeing all the
sites where our beloved Andy Griffith Show was filmed. In addition to Myers
Lake where we walked down the same trail Andy and Opie do in the opening of
every episode, we also walked the very ground where the exterior sets were
located such as the courthouse, barbershop, drugstore, church, Andy's house,
etc. Of course, those exterior sets are no longer there, but using the aerial
photo of the 40 acres lot in the mid-1960s you can figure pretty precisely
where the exteriors were located. We walked where Wally's Filling Station was,
the "Gomer Pyle, USMC" show was filmed, and "Hogan's Heroes" too.

It's interesting that the location of the gate you see just beyond Wally's in
"Goober's Contest" and where Opie plays football in "Opie's Piano Lesson" is
still there. (This was confirmed by Ronnie Schell personally!) That was one way
we knew right where Wally's was. We also stood where Thelma Lou's house was
(830 Lillian Way) which was across the street from the then DesiLu Studios on
Higuera St. Back at Myers Lake, we stood at the precise location where Mr.
McBeevee's truck was parked and pulls away after Mr. McBeevee comes down the
utility pole. The Justice of the Peace in Siler City house is still there from
"Andy and Helen Have Their Day" episode. I could go on and on with all our
goin's on.

As Floyd likes to say, "it's just fascinating, just fascinating!"

Mr. Schwamp
http://www.mayberrychapter.com