Actually, one already had been made.  Mitch Jayne's novel Old Fish Hawk was
made
into the movie "Fish Hawk" in 1979.  It starred Will Sampson, a Native American
actor who appeared in several movies, notably One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest,
The Outlaw Josey Wales and From Here to Eternity.

Mitch was not completely happy with the film, probably because it was shot in
Canada, which makes no sense.  He (and I agree with him) felt it should have
been filmed right here in The Ozarks, where the novel was set.  But, according
to Mitch, the fee he received allowed him to retire, which kind of made up for
the film's shortcomings.

Many of you probably already knew all of that, but I'll bet NOBODY knows this