>The writers dealt with an unrealistic geography of NC.

Yes they did, and I believe it was because of what Andy Griffith had always
proclaimed up until recently. He has always maintained that TAGS was NOT based
on any particular NC city - only recently has he relented. So for the writers
to place Manteo so close to Mayberry was not to confuse or mess with anyone -
it was fictitional, remember? If we really wanted to be sticklers for acuracy -
there really is a town in Virginia named Mayberry - where Andy Griffith's
mother was born. Remember they mention St. Charles as UP THERE, and we all know
it is south. In some episodes Mt. Pilot is 15 miles away, some episodes it's a
2 hour drive. So what? I think it just adds mystery to the show - which gives
us all fluff and fodderall as Barney would say. They didn't have interstate
highways during TAGS and for Andy and Barney to take a "trip" to Raleigh would
have incurred an all day drive. The town of Pilot Mountain doesn't call it
Mount Pilot.

My family had a maid for 18 years when I was growing up, her name was Beatrice.
But instead of pronouncing it with the accent on the first syllable, she
preferred to accent the second syllable. Making it sound like Be - AT- rice. I
always thought that was strange. Even stranger is how some people spell
Harriet. I know one lady spells it Harryette. YUCK!!! Mine is spelled just like
the three most famous ones - Harriet Tubman, Harriet Beecher Stowe and Harriet
Nelson. I had nothing to do with it - it was my grandmother's name.

The chicken thief, in Kelsey's Woods, USA
"Johnny Paul Jason says chewing tar is good for your teeth"..."That's an old
wives tale"...."Johnny Paul ain't married"........