Re Rick Eastwood's spinoff dialogue:

A Mayberry/Hooterville crossover would've been fun! Since "The Beverly
Hillbillies" crossed over into the "Petticoat Junction"/"Green Acres"
"universe," it's surprising CBS didn't attempt a guest-star episode of TAGS
with the Hooterville cast.

I've pondered from time to time the idea of spinoffs from "The Andy Griffith
Show." Outside of the ones we got -- "Gomer Pyle USMC" and the TAGS
continuation, "Mayberry RFD" -- the only other character I believe could've
carried his own show was Barney. A "Barney Fife, Man Undercover" (or some
such title) show would've no doubt been a hit, but since Don Knotts was
already "spinning off" into movies, his own TV show was an impossibility.

A dramatic Mt. Pilot series? That would've been a tough one to pull off as a
spinoff without a carryover character (and none of the TAGS characters
would've fit the drama genre).

For years I've hoped that Andy Griffith and Ron Howard would
executive-produce a new TV series called "Mayberry," a contemporary show
featuring small-town life in the 21st century. A TAGS carryover character
would be a nice touch (George Lindsay as Goober?), with Andy and Opie
helping launch the pilot, but the show would feature a new cast (of course,
with a next-generation Taylor, Fife, or Lawson included).  Since that show's
unlikely, I'll just throw a bucket over my head and "thank" about it for a
spell...

Michael Eury
Concord, NC