Looks like Opie is embarking on a major project that involves an film and TV
series.  Here's the story from the L.A. Times.

Mike Peacock
LOS ANGELES - The creations of Stephen King have been keeping people up at
night for decades, but Ron Howard has been losing sleep lately for a different
reason: The Oscar-winning filmmaker is becoming a bit obsessive about his plan
to adapt King's most epic creation, "The Dark Tower," as a film franchise and
tie-in television series.

"I really can't stop thinking about it," Howard said while shaking his head.
"We've been meeting and talking, and I've been reading and researching and just
kind of living with it. I've been constantly going through stuff, and I've just
been relistening to it (on audio books) on my iPod, and we've been sending
e-mails back and forth, 'What about this approach? What do you think of this
idea?' We're finding the shape of it. We're moving quickly now, as quickly as
we can, and I feel challenged in the most exciting ways."

As challenges go, bringing the seven-novel "Dark Tower" series to the screen is
a colossal one, but Howard's ambitions match it. The director of "Apollo 13"
and "The Da Vinci Code" is teaming up with producer Brian Grazer and
screenwriter Akiva Goldsman to present King's magnum opus as a feature-film
trilogy with a tie-in television series filling in the gap between the
blockbuster releases.

The same creative team took home Oscars for their collaboration on "A Beautiful
Mind," and it was while working on that film that Goldsman brought Howard the
idea of adapting the genre-mashing "Dark Tower" and bringing to life its
central character, a nomadic gunslinger named Roland Deschain, who tangles with
magic, monsters and mutants.

"We worked on it for a year before we even met with him," Howard said. "It was
all about putting something together that was good enough and getting such an
understanding of the material that Stephen King would say, 'Yes, that's the way
into this story.'"

The project has not been greenlighted yet, but Universal Pictures and NBC
Universal Television Entertainment announced in September the plan to chronicle
the story as a multimedia event. If all goes as planned, Howard will direct the
first film and then the first season of a tie-in television series, both of
which Goldsman will write. Two more films would follow.

In a statement, King gushed about the endeavor: "I've been waiting for the
right team to bring the characters and stories in these books to film and TV
viewers . . . [and] respect the origins and the characters in 'The Dark Tower'
that fans have come to love."

The King fantasy epic began in 1982 and has spanned seven novels - the original
hardcover editions add up to a staggering 3,795 pages and 30 million copies
sold - with an eighth installment, tentatively titled "The Wind Through the
Keyhole," announced by the author last year. King released an additional
novella in 1998, and for three years King has been adding new chapters to the
saga within the pages of Marvel Comics.

- Los Angeles Times