Clint Howard was slated to portray the antagonist "Wally Butler" in 'Return
Mayberry' (4/13/1986) but scratched due to conflicts of his working on the film
'The Wraith' (1986). If Gomer had served (at least) a 20-year enlistment, he
would have been honorably discharged (I'm sure!) in 1984 and would receive full
military benefits as a retiree. I remember the behind-the-scenes report on
'Entertainment Tonight' (ET) for 'Return to Mayberry.' After the report, Mary
Hart mentioned that Ken Berry would not be appearing, which segued into a story
on him. The scene of Opie wrecking his car into his garage played out exactly
like Opie wrecking his bike on 'Opie's Job' (9/13/1965). At least 'Return to
Mayberry' garnered a high Nielsen rating unlike some reunion shows for other
series.

Brian Rodahaver
One Of Maryland's Biggest TAGS Fans!!!