But remember, Barney didn't pass out pickle juice to the motorists. He was actually giving them Kerosene :) Might have helped if they ran out of gas :)

Mike Peacock

----------original post------
Even though I have ever eaten a pickle when I was hot, it would work fine for relief of heat exhaustion.? See its the saline or salt in the pickle that would work.? Instead of salt tablets which has an effect on the body and blood pressure, the salt that the pickles are soaked in would be absorbed in the body quicker and thus relieve the heat exhaustion better than for the tablets to be digested then go throughout the body.? When Barney was handing out the jars of pickle, it seemed like it might have been summertime, so back then when air conditioners in cars were scarce, Barney helped relieve the heat.? Especially that one guy from Portland, Oregon who had to drive all the way back across the Rockies. :)