I had a chance last night to catch up on Allan’s Two Chairs No Waiting
Podcasts.  I was about  three sessions behind, so spending an hour there, at
“Two Chairs no Waiting” reminded me of spending an hour at the small town
Barbershop when I was growing up..which LIKE “Two Chairs” was also a very fun
place to be.

As those memories become more vivid, a few things came to mind that are perhaps
things we can not necessarily see/experience at Floyd’s Barbershop.
1)       The sight of hair on the floor between sweepings.
2)       The smell of hot shaving cream, and various hair tonics.
3)       The sound of a straight razor being sharpened on a long leather strap.
4)      The sound of the hydraulics as the barber pumps a chair lift to get the
patron to the right height.
5)       The sound of a radio or TV droning background noise.
6)      The ever-present Coke (or pop machine) and th stack of empty bottle
crates.  (My Barber used to let me empty out the bottle caps for whatever game
Coca cola had going—I felt like a rich man)
7)      Fishing displays—My barber actually had to explain fly fishing to me,
when I asked how these funny looking strings tied like bugs served as bait…and
he persuaded me to stick with rubber worms and real worms (no tater salad)
rather that use teh flies for bait.
8)       The actual magazines (which we know Floyd had enough to swing two
chairs)  Popular Mechanics, Hot Rod, Field and Stream, Highlights (where
someone usually circled the hidden pictures already).
9)      The sound of an electric razor just inches from your ear.
Along with the things we did see in Floyd’s Tonsorial Parlor..
1)      National Geographic
2)      A Row of non-descript chairs filled with Gossiping Men
3)      That poster of the various haircuts
4)      Mirrors and tables with tonics, and Witch hazels
5)       A second barber chair, usually empty
6)       A container of that liquid stuff they sanitize combs in
7)      The candy striped barber pole (but no chairs outside)
The small town barbershop was a place that young boys enjoyed, and heard lots
of good stories, just like “TCNW”
The Untrained Voice---in for a trim

P.S. my barber was so considerate, he once dealt with a bug in my hair without
embarrassing me.  He just told my Pop, another small businessman.  Like Opie, I
had to increase the bath frequency.

http://mayberry.com/podcasts/