My grandparents in Illinois had several roomers.  My mother was a young girl,
and they were all very important grown up friends for her.  One was indeed a
teacher, Miss Virgie.  It would not have been proper in the '20s for Miss
Virgie to live anywhere else.  She left--the room and teaching--when she got
married, but she was always in touch with the family.  And then Franz came to
live with them.  He was a German master baker, like my grandfather, and he came
to town with a flour salesman who thought my grandfather could help him find
work.  He did, and they rented him that had vacated by Miss Virgie.  My mother
told me that was a typical way bakers found work.  The roomers, in this case,
had the use of a hot plate and a small sink and even room for a small kitchen
table and a sitting room.  It could have been Mayberry.