My wife and I had lunch at The Cracker Barrel today.I'm sure everyone knows
that this chain
restaurant decorates with a variety of antiques/replicas.Well,lo and behold,I
spotted an axe
hanging from the ceiling.I looked around to see if there were a pair of roving
eyes behind an
old framed painting.Alas,there was not.

Amazing how an everyday occurence can relate to TAGS.

Dewey in NC

In George Washington's day,there were no cameras.One's image was either
sculpted or painted.
Some paintings of George Washington show him standing behind a desk with one
arm behind
his back while others show both legs and arms.Prices charged by painters were
not based on how
many people were to be painted,but by how many limbs were to be painted .Arms
and legs  are
known as "limbs",therefore painting them would cost the buyer more.Hence the
expression "okay,
but it'll cost you an arm and a leg".Artists knew hands and arms were more
difficult to paint.

I guess the sculptor who rendered the likeness of Seth Taylor got the premium
price as 'old Seth
had all of his limbs.However,the sculptor who created the statue of Venus De
Milo would not have
received as much money back in the day.

(Susi,this is for you)