Ken,  We had the same toys here in Virginia.  I loved my tinker toys.  I used
to spend hours making as many different airplanes as I could.  Then I would get
my metal gas station and all of my cars out.  The lift on my gas station was a
little different though, it was a lever and not a crank.  Our living room couch
has a skirt that hung down and I would stick my cars under there, that was the
garage.  I would put the airplanes under each of the end tables, they were my
hangers.  You see at the age of 10, in my imagination I was a multi-millionaire
with around 10 - 12 cars and 5 or 6 airplanes.  Life was sweet.

One of the best things in my childhood though was my dog.  She was a mutt we
got as a puppy when I was in the 5th grade.  I named her Samantha because I had
a crush on Elizabeth Montgomery from Bewitched.  We were the best of friends.
She went everywhere with me, following me on my bike.  When we played baseball
all day, she would follow me to the field and sit there while we played all day
and then follow me home.  A problem arose when I got my drivers license at 16.
Everytime I drove somewhere I would have to put her in the house so she
wouldn't try to follow me in the car.  The first time this happened, I had
driven about 3 blocks down the hill from our house and looked in the mirror and
saw Samantha chasing after me as fast as she could.  I felt so bad, I stopped
the car and drove her back home.  She just couldn't understand why she couldn't
go with me.  She stayed with my mother when I went away to college and then
when I got an
 apartment after getting out of school.  She got very sick around the age of 12
and the vet said it would be best to put her to sleep.  Taking her to the vet
was the hardest thing I've ever done.  Here I was a strong ex-football player
of 23 years old and I cried like a baby and as I type this I still get a
tear(s) in my eye.  I've had several dogs since, but I don't think there is
ever one as good as the one you had as a child.

Harry in Salem, VA