>>>I have often wondered about Andy?s and Barney? life in Mayberry during
their young informative years. Actually we know a lot about their growing
up years together in Mayberry by listening to their many conversations
during the many episodes of TAGS that they shared.<<<

I think the numerous conversations Andy and Barney have about past events,
family members, etc., were a big part of the show's appeal.  Even though they
were, in essence, about nothing of consequence, at least as far as the
storyline was concerned, they gave us a glimpse into the characters that we
wouldn't otherwise have.  They made Andy and Barney, in particular, seem like
real people with real pasts.  We better understand their personalities and
behavior because of these stories, and these sidelights make the characters
more endearing to us.  When you think about it, there weren't many other shows
that did this type of thing.  "The Dick Van Dyke Show" did something similar
with their frequent use of flashbacks, but in their case, we actually saw Dick
and Laura act out these memories of past events, whereas in TAGS we only hear
them discussed.  In a way, I prefer that, because it enables us viewers to
create the scenes in our own imaginations.  Don't you just love to imagine the
look on young Barney's face when Vicki Harms bit the end of his snow cone,
sucked out all the juice, and left him with just the ice??

Thelma Lou
(Janet)

"Who eats all the apricots around here, anyway?!?"