Thanks Paul!
Yes, unless it's an in person autograph or there is photographic evidence of
the signing, or the seller is extremely trustworthy and/or belongs to and is in
good standing with the UACC and other reputable organizations.  Of course,
there are exceptions to every rule, in which a known non-signer will sign
(human nature), but it pays to err on the side of caution and step out with the
right foot so all will go well. :)
Here are some good links to help those with buying autographs:
http://www.oocities.org/hollywood/cinema/3950/dealers.htm
http://www.geocities.com/~sbeck/dealers.htm

Both offer tips, advice, and organizational links.
Hope this helps,
Clyde "Barn"

----

>Almost all "autographed" photos of Andy Griffith were actually signed not by
>Andy himself, but by his manager, Richard O. Linke (with Andy's permission).
>When anyone wrote in to ask for an autographed >photo, Mr. Linke would do the
>signature. He could make a near-perfect copy, and he probably still can to
>this day.

That being said, it is certainly true that there are a few genuine items out
there that Andy actually did sign with his own hand. For one thing, according
to Mr. Linke, Andy always signed his checks himself. So a cancelled check with
Andy's signature is the real thing. I have one, and will be glad to send a
picture of it to anybody who wants to see what the genuine signature looks
like.

Another thing to remember when buying autographs is that a "certificate of
authenticity" is worthless. Anyone who would sell fake autographs would not
hesitate to print up a fake certificate to go with it.  The only way to be
absolutely certain that an autograph is authentic is to get it yourself, in
person, but to my knowledge Andy has never appeared at any sort of autograph
show, and I'm also told that he quit giving out autographs decades ago.