Just heard Barney's favorite line "Nip it in the bud" in a 1943 movie titled
Hangmen Also Die, 17 years before TAGS. I know we discussed this once before.
The discussion we had was because someone thought Barney's use was original. So
I'm trying to determine its earliest usage. Anyone have an older reference?

Harriet, the chicken thief, hiding in Kelsey's Woods, USA
......"Johnny Paul Jason says chewing tar is good for your teeth"..."That's
an old wives tale"...."Johnny Paul ain't married"........