Some ongoing thoughts about the Taylor Family.  I have quite often thought
that perhaps the Taylor Home where Andy, Opie, and Aunt Bee live may well
be Andy's childhood home.  The reason being is that it appears that Andy
owns the house debt free.  When Barney was trying to get Andy to sell the
house he told them he could get a price for his house and Andy could then
get a small mortgage for the rest.  I don't think Andy would have taken on
an additional mortgage if he owed money on his current home.  My thought is
that perhaps Andy inherited the house as he is still a young man in his
thirties.  It would seem odd that a single man that young could have his
house paid off so soon if he had bought it.  When Andy thought about
leaving Mayberry he once told Barney that he had been sheriff for what I
think was around ten years or so and that he would have ruffled some
feathers in that time.  So that would mean Andy must have become sheriff
shortly after he got out of the army.  Of course this is all conjecture on
my part and I could very well be 100% wrong. One would also notice that
there didn't appear to be any Taylor kin at Andy and Helen's wedding, and
when they came back to Mayberry to have their baby baptized no Taylor
family  was there that we know about. But it is fun to think about these
things when I have my plastic bucket on my head.

--
Ken Anderson
The Mayberry Guru