David,  Very good point on Don Knott's being a dramatic actor playing a
comedian.  I have read many reviews raving about Don's stage performance in On
Golden Pond.  Doesn't get much more dramatic than that.  I remember reading the
same Jack Benny story.

Harry in Salem, VA

P.S.  Speaking of Jack Benny:  I remember seeing George Burns on The Tonight
Show years ago talking about his friendship with Jack Benny and his ability to
always make Jack laugh.  He said one night he and Gracie were at a large dinner
party at a producer's home with Jack and his wife.  The producer was having
Jeanette MacDonald sing after the dinner.  George said right before she started
to sing, he leaned over to Jack and said, "Y'know Jack, it would be very rude
for you to laugh while this young lady is singing."  Ms. MacDonald started
singing and Jack almost fell out of his chair he was laughing so hard.