"What Maybe Means to Me" by George Lindsey
(from "Goober in a Nutshell" BY Ken Beck and Jim Clark, 1995)

Mayberry is going to church on Sunday,
and then after church going to the drugstore for a cherry Coke.
It's sitting around the barber shop reading the sports page,
and getting a shoe shine,
and listening to Fred and Spooky tell their corny jokes.

It's goin' to the wrestlin' matches on Saturday night,
or maybe to the county line for a beer or two.
It's sitting in your car on Main Street watching the people pass,
when there's nothing else to do.

It's shelling corn and making quilts,
and sometimes there's a remnant sale.
It's getting a call in the middle of the night,
to get a good buddy out of jail.

It's book satchels and cloak rooms and notes from your mother
when you're late to school.
It's getting a basketball for Christmas, and practicing the Golden Rule.

It's getting one of those Parker pen and pencil sets
for high school graduation,
Or, if you're a girl, it's always Evening in Paris perfume.
It's being scared to ask that special girl to dance at the senior prom;
That happens every June.

Oh, it's trying to learn to smoke cigarettes and dip snuff and chew tobacco,
and you get so sick you think you're gonna die.
It's trying to get somebody to show you how to make a Windsor know,
in your daddy's brand new Sunday tie.

It's everything and everybody, and when you talk about it
you get that very, very special itch,
but the think that I like about Mayberry, most of all,
IT'S MADE OL' GOOBER RICH!

(Jim, I hope you don't mind me posting this. - Don)