Someone with more knowledge of guns may educate me on this matter, but I'm
pretty sure Barney's pistol was a Smith & Wesson .38. It's likely he carried
the same prop gun in every episode, but I can't confirm this. In Cyrano Andy,
he promises to tell Thelma Lou how to care for a .38 caliber revolver, which
implies he carries such a gun himself.

A few years ago someone listed a prop gun on eBay (real guns are banned on
eBay), purported to be the actual gun Don Knotts used on the set. If memory
serves someone shelled out several thousand bucks for it.  I have serious
doubts that it was genuine, but the seller seemed mighty proud of that piece of
paper which "proved" it was the real thing. Buyer beware: a COA (Certificate of
Authenticity) is absolutely worthless. Anyone who would sell a fake autograph,
prop, etc. would not hesitate to print up a fake certificate to go with it.

Paul Mulik