What was Andy's occupation before he became sheriff?  Well we know Andy was in
the Military, We can safely assume that it was during the Korean conflict since
we know he graduated high school in 1948 and there is no mention of him going
to college. Then he came home. married, had Opie etc....  We don't know exactly
how long he had been Sheriff when the show started, but we do know that Barney
wasn't always his deputy. I think perhaps Andy became a deputy when he got out
of the service.  Because in one episode, I believe it's Citizens' Arrest, they
talk about the lineage of Sheriffs and how he took over for I think it was Ed
Paley..? Anyway that's my theory.

Johnna
Fayetteville, AR