VERY INTERESTING THREAD as there seem to be regional terms that vary.

I spent a few growing up years in the Kentucky area and recall the term cutting but also recall the term picking in Gainesville Georgia early 60's and recall seeing the barns with tobacco drying in that manner. A few years ago (about) I saw some still like that going through Tennessee. We were behind a tobacco farmer with leaves on his truck on the highway and I wanted to follow to see where he was going and sure 'nuf there was the barn and poles.

Re: rspe...@nc.rr.com
"While I understand the term in Kentucky is cutting tobacco, because I think with burley tobacco the entire stalk is cut - in North Carolina tobacco (flue-cured, not burley) is "picked" or "cropped" a few leaves each week over a four to five week season in the summer as the leaves partially "cure" on the stalk - in the old days the picked or cropped leaves were tied to sticks and hung in barns on "tier" poles because they were at different levels in the barn - those of us who had to climb to the top of the barn to hang the sticks of tobacco referred to them as "tear" poles because it would be so hot at the top of the barn our eyes would run water "

Yup I saw that too, and L.O.V.E. that show
Re :flyfishe...@hotmail.com
This reference and usage was recently on the "Moonshiners" TV show on the
Discovery Channel when Tim Smith hides his 'shine in a tobacco field and
then worries that it will be discovered since 'they'll be pulling tobacco
soon'...