As far as Goober wetting his gun sights, if you ever watch the 1941 movie
"Sergeant York", Gary Cooper, playing Alvin C. York does the same thing.   When
they ask him why he does it, he says it cuts down on the glare.   I guess that
would take away any shine on the front sight. Orville Hendricks - Mount Pilot
Butter and Egg Man.   I spent 34 years in the military, and every year I
dreaded the rifle qualification weekend.   I had bad eyes, and it was a
terrible effort for me to pass rifle qualification each year.   From the first
year to the last year I never qualified anything but Marksman.