Re the recent comments about some of TAGS' best life lessons coming from
Opie:

I couldn't agree more!

During TAGS' original run I was a child a few years younger than Ronnie
Howard, so back then Opie's life lessons were relatable to my own growing
up.

But having watched an re-watched the series throughout my life, it's the
Opie episodes that still speak most to me.

The adult characters on TAGS all went through stages (case in point: Andy
from hick to voice of reason to "angry Andy") and each had their weaknesses
and foibles (such as Barney's ego).

We watched Opie mature, but through those eight years he remained the most
honest and sincere character on the show -- even during the times he was
misbehaving.

This is partially due to solid writing, but Ron Howard's acting, even when
he was a wee lad, was among the finest of anyone on the cast.  He wasn't a
stereotypical sitcom kid -- Opie Taylor was a "real" person.  And Opie will
forever remain my favorite citizen of Mayberry.

Hey from Concord, NC,
Michael Eury