"In all three episodes that Malcolm visited Mayberry, Andy hired him to
work.  My questions is this.  Wouldn't Malcolm have been working illegally
in the US?  I always thought it is illegal to work in a country for pay if
you are just there visiting.  Any thoughts?" - Ken Anderson

Yessiree.illegally working, no mention of a green card. But, hey, we can
just overlook that, right? Although inference was given to pay, did we ever
see money exchange hands?
I don't think there is any paper trail to follow, certainly no emails. Andy
once again workng on the edge of the law (early Matlock).

Quiet Sam