>>>Howard Sprague played a character of Ed the Insurance agent once. How did
>>>that come about? I've never seen an actor play a somewhat major character on
>>>a show and then play a totally different one. Anyone know how that
>>>happened?<<<

But, David, I believe Jack Dodson played the one-time role of insurance agent
prior to becoming Howard Sprague.  It is a bit odd, however, that he played
that small role in the same season that he then became a regular character on
the show.  I can't imagine that was planned, as I would think surely some
people would recognize him.  "Hey, isn't that the same guy who played the
insurance agent?"  On the other hand, maybe the producers were thinking of
making him Howard but decided to give him this small role first to see how well
he fit in with the show.

Thelma Lou
(Janet)