When you talk to me about tv theme songs you are preaching to the choir...I
wrote the book "The Good Time Rock and Roll Trivia book"  in 2009...It might
still be available on Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.com. In it I list two page
of TV Theme songs..
The first tv theme songs to reach #1 on Billboard were S.W.A.T. from "S.W.A.T.
by Rhythm Heritage in 1976...It was followed by "Welcome Back" Theme song from
"Welcome Back Kotter" by John Sebastian also in 1976.
Other theme songs that made the top ten during the broadcasting of TAGS were
"Three Stars Will Shine Tonight", Them From "Dr. Kildare" #10 . Others which
made the top 20  before 1968 were, Dragnet, #3, 1953... Theme from "Zorro" #17,
1959 ...."Peter Gunn Theme, #8, 1959.... Them from "Bonanza " #19,
1961...."Three Stars Will Shine Tonight" from "Dr. Kildare", #10,
1962..."Secret Agent Man", #3, 1966.
Now you can argue that the TAGS theme was the most popular during it's run but
it would be hard to prove against themes like "Bonanza" one of the two show
that outranked TAGS in the Neilsen ratings...The other would be
"Gunsmoke"...and the fact that the TAGS theme was never released to radio on a
45 RPM for play...So I don't know anything about K-LOVE but their assessment
that The TAGS theme is even now the number one them song doesn't hold
up...Granted it is a chirpy little tune and very catchy but it was never given
the chance to compete with the other major theme song  recordings....and before
anyone tries to correct me..yes..there were other tv theme songs which made
billboard through the 60's and 70's.

Vic Friskey