On 5/26/2014 10:00 AM, wbmutbb-requ...@wbmutbb.com wrote:
Her father was Charles Samuel Bavier (1850-1920) and her mother was Mary S.
Birmingham (1870 - ?). In the 1910 census, she was living at 7 years of age in
Manhattan, Ward 17, NYNY. Her father was then 51.
In the 1920 census Frances is 17 and the Bavier family was living in
Manhattan, Assembly District 7, NYNY. The head of the household was
still her father, Chas S. Bavier 69. In the 1930 census, Frances is 25.

So in 1910 her dad was 51 and in 1920 he was 69? Also in 1920 Frances was 17
but in 1930 she was only 25? Curious!!!

Yes, Sandra, this is indeed curious! To alleviate any fears that I am off my noodle, I must say that I copied those names and dates, word for word, digit for digit, from official United States Census reports for years 1910, 1920, and 1930. (Does this say something about census records?) When I, too, noticed the discrepancy, I returned to the reports again, this time pulling up actual photo images of the very handwritten pages on which census takers had written their "facts." Once again, it was observed that Charles Samuel Bavier was "51" in 1910 and "69" in 1920 (according to these official records, and their calculations are GOOOOD). You know, I know, and Aunt Bee knows that Chas. S. Bavier was probably 59 or 60 in 1910. Regarding Frances being 25 in 1930, ten years after she was 17 in 1920, this, again, is a direct revelation (but not divine revelation) from handwritten notation on the 1930 federal form. Maybe this explains why I'm older than I think I am. If I've learned nothing more from genealogy, I have learned that census takers could be notoriously inaccurate. I have seen recorded details of my ancestors that were totally hilarious, mostly in names that were way out and way off base, but sometimes in dates too. Names were often recorded just as they sounded to the recorder's ear; same for numbers. If no one was home when the census taker came, sometimes they'd write merely what a neighbor told them about the absent occupants. So, I'm sorry about these obvious errors. I only reported what I found.:-)
Larry in CO

---
is active.