On the subject of misuse of guns in Mayberry.
One thing that always caught my attention and has always bothered me is the lax
security of rifles in the Mayberry Sheriff Office.
Maybe not every day, but many, many, days, the rifles and shotguns shown in the
Mayberry Sheriff's Office were left unlocked and unguarded.    I cannot count
the number of times when Andy and Barney walked out of the office without
locking the door.    Any person could have walked in off the street and taken
as many long guns as they wished and walked right out the back door.
I was a supply sergeant in the United States Army for about 20 years, and I can
tell you I would have been fired in a New York second if I ever left the 80
rifles in my charge unsecured in that manner.    And if, God forbid, any of the
rifles had come up missing, I dread to think what might have happened to me.
Every time I see Andy walk into the office, lift up the unlocked arm of the
rifle rack, and put in or take out a rifle, I shutter.

Orville Hendricks - Mount Pilot Butter and Egg Man