I hope everyone is having fun trying to come up with middle names or middle
initials of people in Mayberry.  Remember that I said up front that maiden
names used as middle names (as in Clara Edwards Johnson) do not count, nor do
the names of people who never visited Mayberry (such as C. J. Hasler or John
Judson Bailey).

Ellie Walker's middle name is never seen or mentioned at any time in any
episode.  Some of the TAGS books give it as Ellie Mae Walker, but they are in
error.  If anyone can point out a specific scene in a specific episode in which
any middle name is given for Ellie, I will eat my words, and I'll bet they'll
taste "silly."  The confusion most likely comes from a line at about the 16:00
mark in Cyrano Andy, in which Andy says, "Ellie, may I say, behind that pretty
face you've got a awful handsome brain."  Now suppose Andy had said something
like the following to Barney: "Barney, may I say you're the best deputy in
town."  Would you conclude that Barney's full name was Barney May Fife?  Of
course you wouldn't.  Folks may also be thinking of the character of Elly May
Clampett, from The Beverly Hillbillies.

Mike, good catch on Dudley A. Wash.  I knew that J didn't sound quite right.

Here's a more or less complete list of all of the characters mentioned so far
(in some cases, I've had to guess at spelling). I've given notes on most of
them, and I hope some electronal marvel somewhere doesn't insert a whole bunch
of question marks like what happened last time (I had typed dashes).

Ernest T. Bass

James Arthur Beaslow -- butcher shop employee whose truck was parked in front
of Lydia's house for hours

Samuel W. Becker -- farmer whose baby son is delivered by Andy during a violent
storm

Dr. Harrison Everett Breen -- visiting clergyman from New York City

Mary Alice Carter -- girl Opie has a crush on

Jaylene Naomi Connors -- escaped convict

Helene Alexian DuBois -- pen name of Helen Crump (I too come from Kansas,
however I never thought the name Crump had much class myself)

Pearly Mae DuBois -- a girl in Barney's high school yearbook, apparently very
attractive

Dixie Belle Edwards -- went to Great Dismal Swamp to hunt black bear

Bernard Milton Fife -- Barney's name in his high school yearbook

Bernard Oliver Fife -- When Barney works on his family tree, Andy thinks
Barney's middle name is Oliver

Bernard P. Fife -- (note that Barney always refers to himself as Bernard P.
Fife, and never as Milton or Oliver)

Fred H. Goss -- dry cleaner

Mary Grace Gossage -- if you call her a dog again I'll never speak to you

Jesse Earle Hagen -- bass (tuba, probably) player coming to play with the
Mayberry band

Laura Lee Hobbs -- dime store employee who told Gomer about the gold truck

J. Howard Jackson -- vengeful publisher who prints a vicious story about Andy

Johnny Paul Jason

Edna Sue Larch -- I haven't confirmed her middle name yet but I'll check the
relevant episodes ASAP

Barbara Sue Lindsey -- beauty contest participant (some mishear her last name
as Lincoln, but in other episodes her parents are named Sam Lindsey and Clara
Lindsey)

Thomas A. Moody -- guest of honor who turns out to be a criminal

Violet Rose Schumacher -- competed with Aunt Bee for a job at the print shop

Andrew Jackson Taylor

Bradford J. Taylor -- Aunt Bee's cousin whose big plans never quite work out

Rev. Hobart M. Tucker -- Mayberry pastor

Maude Clarice Tyler -- escaped convict

Tyla Lee Vernon -- woman in story Andy tells the "prisoner of love"

PFC Dudley A. Wash

Thelma Lou Whitfield -- we are never told Thelma Lou's last name, but in the
second class reunion episode she comes back married to a Mr. Whitfield

Halcyon Loretta Winslow -- still ugly, single, and pitting prunes

Signed,
Paul T. Mulik, attorney at law

P. S. the first time we see Goober, Andy calls him Goober Beasley, but I don't
believe that's his middle name.