While watching an episode "Goober Goes To The Car Show"......Eric Swolgaard

I don't think it's so much a contradiction that Andy refers to Goober's buddy
as an old army buddy
and that Gomer suggest Goober learned how to say "Yo !" while serving in the
National Guard. The
Army National Guard is used by many as a stepping stone into the regular army.
In fact their are
former National Guardsmen serving now in Afghanistan. Several of them come from
Ft. McCoy
in Wisconsin. And National Guardsmen are given the same respect and honors as
any regular army soldier.
For EX: my brother and my brother-in law were both given military honors at
their funerals including
a gun salute and taps...So I don't believe it was a contradiction as a lot of
people refer to those in the
National Guard as soldiers and army servicemen and women...

Victor Friskey