Yesterday an anonymous poster asked:

>>>TAGS fans,
At this time of the year, if you hear an instrumental version of "O,
Tannenbaum", which lyrics go through your head? ?"O Christmas Tree" or "Hail to
Thee, Miss Mayberry"?>>>

Actually, when I hear that melody I sometimes think of the official state song
"Maryland, My Maryland" which uses the same melody, and which became popular
around the time of the Civil War.

The song "O Tannenbaum" is several centuries old, and refers not to a Christmas
tree, but to a plain undecorated fir tree. The tune later became known as "O
Christmas Tree" after the custom of decorating trees for Christmas became
widespread.

Paul Mulik