This is a good question and I would like to vote on the subject.  I am sure
we will have some "Public Debates" on the subject so this should be fun.

Here I have to look at what Bruce wrote about the character and actors
contributions.  This is where it gets tricky.  Cause what looks like
fighting to one may be dancing to another.  But my take is this, we have
Aunt Bea - solid character and great actor.  Otis - the same as Aunt Bea and
always brings in the humorous side for the episodes.  Gomer and Goober -
solid characters and great actors who yet again bring in a new slant on
their characters that adds and addresses a lot of people we all know in our
everyday lives.  Briscoe Darling - although he wasn't as much of a prominent
character that we saw regularly ( I wish he would have been ), he added the
historic roots to the hills and music.  Then we have someone who definitely
deserves to be on the monument as much as anyone, Ernest T. Bass.  With his
love for rocks, it just stands to reason that he be up there also.  But my
last vote would be for Floyd Lawson.  With what he went through personally
with his health and to want to continue on, just says a lot about the
Character of the Man.  So my votes would be like this:

1.       Andy

2.       Barney

3.       Opie

4.       Floyd

5.       With an honorable mention and maybe looking around somehow worked
into the scene, Ernest T Bass.

Steve

Ol' Sam

Cullman, Alabama