I read the *Andy and Don* biography right when it came out and had a hard
time putting it down.

Yes, some of the revelations about their personal lives are surprising, and
a few are shocking. But the author, Daniel de Vise (Don Knotts'
brother-in-law, BTW), presents a fair and balanced, as well as utterly
fascinating, portrait of Andy Griffith and Don Knotts unlike anything I've
ever read about them before (and like many of you, I've read a lot).

Some *TAGS* fans' negative reactions to the book focus on these shocks --
on the revelations of both men's failings -- but de Vise doesn't
sensationalize these shortcomings. He also portrays the positive qualities
and immense talents of both Griffith and Knotts, with a continuing
spotlight on the deep bond and friendship that cemented their relationship
for so many decades.

The book *Andy and Don* didn't change my lifelong affection for Sheriff
Andy Taylor or Deputy Barney Fife one iota -- in fact, it deepened it,
because it made me realize that behind our beloved icons were two men who
could rise above their human flaws to create "real" characters and an
endearing show that outlived them and will outlive us all.

Michael Eury